A twist on the traditional sticky toffee pudding this traybake can be easily cut into slices and served.
200g stoned dates, chopped 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
300ml boiling water
300g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder 100g butter, diced
200g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
125g dark brown sugar 55g butter
- Grease and line the small roasting tin or a deep Swiss roll tin. Place dates and bicarbonate of soda in a small bowl and pour over the water. Leave to stand whilst you make the cake.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder into a bowl and rub in the butter until it resembles fine breadcrumbs (or you can use a food processor or stand mixer), stir in the caster sugar.
- Add vanilla extract to date mixture and then pour into flour, mix until combined, but take care not to overmix.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake on the 4th runner on baking setting or in the AGA baking oven for approximately 35 minutes until risen and spongy. Allow to cool in tin slightly before placing on wire rack to cool.
- For topping; place all the ingredients in a heavy-based pan and heat gently on simmering plate or induction hob until melted. Once melted, bring to the boil and boil for 3 minutes. Cool slightly then pour over the cooled cake. Allow topping to set before cutting into 20 pieces.