An interesting stuffing to accompany glazed gammon, turkey or goose and the pomegranate seeds give a burst of fruitiness to each mouthful!
1 medium onion, peeled
1 medium red eating apple
Zest of 1 small lemon
5g sage leaves, chopped
1 pomegranate, seeded
Salt and black pepper
1 egg, beaten
1. Butter each muffin cup – the quickest way is to divide the butter between the muffin cups and put on the warming plate, or in the simmering oven, to melt, then brush each cup.
2. Cut the onion into 6, place into an AGA Stainless Steel Saucepan and barely cover with water, bring to the boil and place in the simmering oven for 30 minutes until soft. Cool and drain, keeping 2 tablespoons of onion water. Chop the onion.
3. Core the apple, leaving the skin on and finely chop, squeeze over a little lemon juice to prevent it turning brown. Place the onion, apples, breadcrumbs, lemon zest, chopped sage leaves and pomegranate seeds into a bowl, add seasonings and mix. Add the egg and bind the mixture together, if it seems dry add the reserved onion water.
4. Divide the stuffing mix between the 12 muffin cups and top each with a smear of butter.
5. Slide the muffin tray onto the lowest set of runners in the roasting oven and cook for 20-25 minutes.