AGA Demonstrator Penny Zako shares her recipe for crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside roast potatoes in the Rayburn cooker.
1 jar goose fat
2 tsp. paprika
1 tbsp. plain flour
Serves 6 - 8
1. Peel and cut the potatoes into chunks, place into a stainless steel casserole and cover with cold water.
2. Bring to the boil and cook until the surface of the potato begins to soften.
3. Drain all the water and shake the pan to roughen the edges, then tip on to a plate. Mix the flour with the paprika and sprinkle over the potatoes, allow to cool a little.
4. Meanwhile, heat the goose fat in the deep hard anodised baking tray in a hot oven, on the floor of the top oven set to roasting. Once it has melted and is hot, remove from the oven and add the potatoes to the tray in a single layer, turn to coat in fat and sprinkle with sea salt. Return the tray to the hot oven and cook for 15-20 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven and turn the potatoes, at this point the roasters can be chilled and then frozen to be cooked at a later date. To cook from frozen allow an extra 15-20 minutes cooking time. If not preparing in advance place the roasting tin at the top of the top oven set to roasting, for the potatoes to continue to crisp and brown for between 20-25 minutes.
6. Remove from the oven and using a slotted spoon place the potatoes on the shallow hard anodised baking sheet, you can continue to cook in the centre of the hot oven, for 15-20 minutes or keep warm to finish off later.