Party food doesn’t come much more delicious than this! Cups of filo pastry with a scrummy prawn and dill filling, best eaten slightly chilled.
2 tsp rape seed oil
2 tsp pesto
4 sheets filo pastry
100ml double cream
20g fresh dill, chopped
Grated zest of ½ lemon
100g small cooked prawns (or you could use shrimps)
12 small prawns
1. Brush the inside of the mini muffin cups with a little oil. Mix the oil and pesto together.
2. Unroll the sheets of filo pastry and cut into 9cm squares. Take 3 squares, brush the bottom one with the oil and pesto mix, place another square on top slightly offsetting, brush with the mix, put the remaining square on top, again, slightly offset and brush with the mix. Ease the filo pastry into a muffin cup, repeat with the remaining pastry and oil/pesto mix until all the mini muffin cups are filled.
3. Place the mini muffin tray on the floor of the baking oven (use the floor grid if your AGA has one) and bake for 10 minutes until just beginning to brown.
4. Meanwhile make the filling by beating the eggs with cream in a jug, then add the dill, lemon zest and some pepper and mix well together.
5. Take the muffin tray out of the oven. Divide the prawns between the cups then fill with the savoury custard mixture. Return to the floor of the baking oven and cook for 15 minutes or until the filling has set. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Serve cold and garnish each with a small prawn.