These delicious cookies combine chocolate and ginger for a deliciously indulgent and spiced treat.
125g butter, diced
75g golden syrup
200g caster sugar
325g self-raising flour
30g cocoa powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tbsp ground ginger
75g crystallised ginger, finely chopped
1 large egg, beaten
- Melt the butter, syrup and sugar together in a small heavy-base saucepan over a gentle heat on simmering plate or induction hob. Do not let them boil. Cool slightly.
- Sieve together the flour, cocoa, bicarbonate of soda and ginger and stir in the chopped ginger. Make a well in the centre.
- Add the egg to the dry ingredients and mix to a firm dough.
- Shape the dough into even pieces about the size of a walnut, place on a baking sheet lined with Bake-o- glide. You will need to bake in several batches on two baking sheets as they do spread.
- Place the baking sheets on position 2 and 4 and bake for 12- 15 minutes, swap shelf positions after about 10 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight tin.