Ideal as a lunch, light dinner or a starter, this Chicken Caesar Salad is perfect for warm summer days.
4 free-range chicken fillets, about 140g (5 oz) each
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
For the Croûtons:
3 slices white bread, cubed
1 tbsp olive oil
25g (1 oz) butter
1 clove of garlic, crushed
For the Salad and Garnish:
1 Cos lettuce, washed
4-6 tbsp of a good Caesar salad dressing, such as Mary Berry's
Shavings of Parmesan cheese
1. You'll need a cast-iron grill pan to cook the chicken with perfect grill stripes. Trim the chicken of any fat and place in a glass bowl with the olive oil and crushed garlic and leave to marinate for up to 1-2 hours.
2. Heat the cast-iron grill pan on the simmering side of the hotplate, then slide over to the hottest side and heat for a further 2-3 minutes. Remove the chicken fillets from the marinade and place them in the grill pan.
3. Cook for about 4-6 minutes until the chicken has been 'branded'. Turn the chicken over and continue to cook for a further 8-10 minutes or, if the main oven is hot, transfer to the floor of the oven to complete the cooking.
4. Whilst the chicken is cooking, make the garlic croûtons. Melt the olive oil with the butter and garlic, add the cubes of bread and shake to coat with the garlicky mixture. Gently fry until golden.
5. Break the lettuce leaves into bite-size pieces and toss with the Caesar salad dressing.
6. Place in the salad bowl and serve topped with the warm, sliced chicken fillets. Garnish with the croûtons and shavings of Parmesan